- To study in depth the African socio-cultural context both in its traditional and changing forms with the means provided by anthropology, sociology and related disciplines.
- To discover by this study key themes and issues for the development of African understanding of and expression of the gospel, church, theology, and a holistic human development.
- To stimulate theological reflection upon these themes and issues, as well as evangelistic and pastoral initiatives which take them seriously.
- To promote by this study the development of a sense of African identity within a situation of rapid socio-cultural change, and a sense of unity amid diversity.
- To promote in all of these endeavours ecumenical dialogue and co-operation, both as a witness to the basic message of the gospel and in order that the Christian churches might better carry out their mission to African peoples.